Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Birthday Eve


One year ago tonight I packed my bags and set out on a night that would change my world forever.  The funny thing about a planned induction is it feels a lot like checking into a hotel.  You have your suitcase, confirm your reservation, and "check in".  I was told to eat a really good meal as I wouldn't be allowed food until the baby was born and would need enough to sustain a good 24 hours without eating.  So prior to checking in at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, Mike and I had dinner with friends at Outback.  I know, not the most glamorous of choices but I really wanted steak as my last meal!  I remember feeling nervous and excited but mostly calm.  I'm a planner and this arrangement of knowing when my baby boy would be born totally agreed with me.  Well, like most things in life, karma has a funny way of kicking you in the ass.  Because I really had no idea what I was in for!

We were shown to our room and I was hooked up to the fetal monitor.  In passing the nurse mentioned that it was a full moon and the staff was eagerly anticipating what the night might bring.  I thought I remembered hearing some sort of urban legend about maternity wards and full moons but really, what could really happen????  A lot, it turns out.  After I was admitted a slew of women came in already in labor.  I was scheduled to be there but these women were having their babies and having them quickly while I waited and waited for the doctor to come in to start the induction process.  We probably waited for a good 3 hours before the Dr. had time to get to me.  Without getting too graphic a substance was applied to soften my cervix. The nurse told me that although rare, sometimes thats all it takes to get the labor process moving.  More than likely Pitocin would be administered in the morning and my baby would be born 24 hours from now (11:00 pm).

Between the damn IV and the fetal monitor I was extremely uncomfortable.  Especially because I had to pee every 5 minutes and had to unplug myself and navigate the IV thingy every time I had to go.  I started to realize I must be having contractions.  The nurse assured me I wasn't in labor as labor contractions occur in measurable sections of time; not all over the place as I seemed to be.  Of course it was hard to get any answers because the doctor was still up to her elbows in deliveries.

Once the pain started all bets were off the table.  I had no idea what was going on.  Why was I in so much pain if I wasn't in labor?  I was given something to take the edge off, and again told I was not in labor and should sleep while I can.  I rested for maybe 10 minutes before the pain really started.  Ummmm, I thought I was going to be able to sleep?  I just couldn't wrap my mind around what was happening?  I ended up being THAT GIRL screaming in pain.  Mike was finally able to wrangle a nurse in my room and although they were hesitant to check me (at the risk of infection) they did.  Somehow I had managed to dilate from a 3 to like a 7 in a matter of hours...I honestly don't remember the exact number but my epidural was ordered.  Before getting an epidural you have to get a whole bag of IV fluids...it took FOREVER!!!!  By the time the anesthesiologist came in with the giant needle I was in so much pain I had trouble sitting still.  "You'll be able to sleep now" the nurse said.  Where have I heard that before????

Once again no more than 10 minutes later I started to feel what I can only describe has PRESSURE.  Ever try to hold in a fart?  This was like 100 million times worse.  I called the nurse in and told her what I was feeling.  "Well don't push" she said.  "I don't think I really have a choice!" I replied.  So again there was concern over checking my dilation but once they did they started setting up for the birth.  The baby was coming in the next hour!  It was about 6:30 AM.

The on-call doctor, whom I had met, showed up.  My doc was on her way in.  I got my legs up in the stirrups...OMG how is this going to feel???  I was kind of scared!  This is where things get really scary/fast/hectic.  The doctor broke my water and showed signs of concern.  Something was beeping near by, my son's heart rate monitor.  She said, "Traci, we are going to do a C-section otherwise I'm afraid the baby will die.  We need to get him out now!"  I was screaming in pain, the nurses were frantically trying to convert the bed back down and unplug me while someone shouted "somebody cover her up!"  WHAT WAS HAPPENING?!?!?!

As I'm being wheeled to the OR the Dr. is demanding the anesthesiologist.  A different one than the one that administered my epidural shows up and they exchange words.  I wish I were making this up but they were literally having an argument over me about whether or not I should be put out.  My Dr. was pretty adamant she wanted me under ASAP while the anesthesiologist insisted he could get me numb or whatever.  Well for what ever reason it didn't work...I think she tested it by nicking me with a scalpel.  They were going to put me under and when they do that Mike could not come in the delivery room.  A nurse grabbed my hand and I remember hearing "Propofol on board" and all I could think was "Oh, Michael Jackson!"  I looked to the sky and thought, this is either going to turn out OK or it is not and at this point I just have no control.  However, I will admit that I had confidence that everything was going to be fine.  Maybe I just didn't want to admit the alternative was just as likely.

Before I opened my eyes I heard Mike on the phone with my Dad.  Letting him know Kolton had arrived and was fine.  He filled him in on some other details and said he would send out pictures as soon as I had a chance to meet him.

Kolton Michael Junkans was born at 7:51 AM on January 19th.  A mere 9 hours or so after the induction process began without me ever actually getting pitocin.  So much for 24 hours!  And life would never be the same...


No comments:

Post a Comment