Saturday, June 4, 2011

Surgi



The surgery was a great success!  It was done at the University of Maryland Pediatric Surgi Center in downtown Baltimore.  Is "surgi" just a cute way to spell surgery for the kids?  I'm not sure.  Beautiful hospital by the way.  But,  I'm not going to lie, yesterday was a rough one.  I wish doctors didn't glaze over what you'll experience either during or after a procedure.  They use words like "you'll experience pressure" or "some mild discomfort".  What they really mean is you'll experience PAIN and then some more PAIN.  Kolton was not a happy camper after we brought him home.  He just stared at us with a blank stare and then cried.  It was a "I'm hurting Mommy!" cry and it just broke my heart.  He slept in someones arms most of the day.  My mom is wonderful with babies and I don't know how we would have made it through the day without her.  Finally, around 7pm, he started to get playful.  Of course 7pm is usually his bedtime but since he had been sleeping all day I decided just to run with it.  We managed to get a couple little smiles but he still hasn't broken out into a huge grin as was his nature.  Hopefully today gets him back into his routine.  I'm so worried that he is going to break from his awesome sleeping habits!

One thing that struck both Mike and I as the surgical team introduced themselves to us was just how YOUNG everyone was.  It was slightly hilarious watching the intern introduce himself to the surgeon.  Can someone say awkward!  We grabbed a coffee in the cafeteria and I found myself thinking that maybe Grey's Anatomy isn't too far off base.  I'm so thankful to everyone that looked out for our little guy but hopefully we'll never have to go back there:-)

1 comment: