Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Comfort Zone


I know I have a lot to catch up on.  Let me start out by saying the wedding of Meghan Fannin and Greg Vogt was simply fantastic!  I am so happy for them.  If you've never been to the Peabody Library you absolutely have to go.  It was breathtaking!  And I love the fact that wearing a bridesmaid dress gives you license to act like a dancing fool:-)

Kolton got his first cold, and it was completely my fault!  Earlier last week I had dinner plans and my friend's boyfriend, Alec, agreed to babysit.  Mostly because I told him he wouldn't have to do anything but hang out at my house.  Usually I put Kolton to bed at 7 and then that's it.  So when Alec informed me that he had a cold I thought it would be no big deal since they wouldn't have any contact.  Well wouldn't you know it was the one day things fell out of step.  For some reason Kolton fell asleep at 6:00 or so as he was taking his last bottle before he finished it.  So one hour into dinner Alec called to say the little guy was up and crying.  Although Alec said he could handle it I headed back to the house. It was slightly hilarious to discover them both on the couch with Kolton drenched from half the bottle leaking on him.  I use the Avent bottles which have a small ring that goes into the bottle first to prevent too much air consumption.  I'm well aware that baby stuff can be quite confusing.  After all that was me less than 6 months ago! Well whatever he managed to get down worked because he went right back to sleep.  But the damage was done and Kolton came down with a runny nose a couple days later.  Now both Mike and I have it.  It's a little miserable taking care of a baby when you don't feel so good yourself.  I am so glad that we're not sharing the germs of a daycare center!

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about my comfort zone and how I'll be leaving it soon.  I'm wondering if it's not so much the four walls but the collection of the things in my home that I love so much.  Will I be able to recreate this awesome feeling of home someplace new?  Speaking of which, I know I said I was taking a break but we may have found our house this weekend!  More details on that soon.  Mike is out of his comfort zone too working for a new company in a new territory and selling new products.  It's no wonder we're both slightly tense these days.

Do you ever wonder why you find certain things comforting?  Take that ugly quilt in the picture.  It's Mike's and I know someone made it with a lot of love.  But the thing is not pretty.  However, I love it and have been sleeping with it lately while Mike's gone.  My mom's tuna casserole, clean bathrooms, and freshly washed sheets are other things I find comfort in.  I wonder what things Kolton will find comforting?  Unless something drastic happens it will never be home cooking that's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. I know most of my comments have been, "you should frame that picture!" but seriously... that picture of Kolton sleeping is precious.

    A dad of teenagers just told me that I should take as many pictures of my baby as possible because there will be a time (when my baby is a moody teen) when I'll want to look back on the pics and remember when my child was nice. haha...

    ReplyDelete