Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Vacation That Wasn't

Well folks, that was not quite the vacation I was hoping for!  Mike and I agree that we learned 2 very valuable lessons.  1)  Vacations really should be a week long to allow for bad days.  2)  When vacationing with small children bring reinforcements.  Overall it just felt like a lot of work when we were supposed to be relaxing.  But I did get some priceless photos that will only evoke good memories.

Kolton loved playing with the temp control.  We couldn't keep him away from it!  We stayed at a Comfort Inn right on the beach.  It actually worked out really well.  Never underestimate the luxury of free breakfast=)  But, the hardest thing was feeling trapped in the room while Kolton slept.  We ended up going to bed before 9:00 every night.  Next time I'd say a balcony to escape to is a must.  

We really loved the laid back atmosphere of Nags Head. 

I want to say a special "Thank You!' to Megan & Marshall and the Keyser family for all of your help and hospitality.  You showed us how beach vacations are done right and we can't wait to try again!

Kolton finally tolerated wearing a hat!

Future grumpy old men!

Snuggled in after a great afternoon on the beach.

Pool Time!

Home Sweet Home!  Kolton ended up getting really sick so we made the quick decision to head home last night.  Unfortunately that meant leaving Mike behind because he has work to do.  But it was definitely the right decision because little man hardly made a peep the entire 4 hour drive home and is now still sleeping peacefully.  

A couple other quick thoughts about the trip...

GPS needs to have a no bullshit route.  It ended up taking me through downtown Norfolk when I'm sure there was a better way to stay on the expressway.  That probably added a 1/2 hour to our drive home.

I still love my 2004 Mazda 3!!!!!  I did a lot of driving over the past few days and my little car is the best.  I got her brand new and she has been very good to me =)

1 comment:

  1. That is definitely what parenthood is like! We lived in Germany while our oldest daughter was between the ages of 1 through 4. Being that we lived in Europe, of course, we wanted to take as many trips to the surrounding European countries we could, so Tanya came with us everywhere we went. (We didn't have grandparents over there to take care of her.) Those vacations were definitely a lot of work, but at least we didn't let a baby slow us down and we got to see what we wanted to see! It would be kind of nice to do it all over again but without a baby along this time! =) I love the "future grumpy old men" pic!

    ReplyDelete