Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Evaluation Day


Today was Kolton's speech and motor skills evaluation.  Basically, two observers played with him for 2 hours.  They introduced different toys looking for specific skills and asked me a number of questions.  I was impressed that they were able to fully understand his personality.   I was afraid that they were going to quickly judge him.  

Kolton had one minor freak out for about 5 minutes.  And all i could think was "no, no, no, baby, not now!"  I think they just chalked it up to over stimulation.  In the end they are not worried about his motor skills at all.  He walked around freely and also stood up from a three point stance.  But he definitely qualifies for speech therapy.  Little man was pretty quiet the entire time.  Which is normal for him.

What does all of this mean?  Basically I need to turn into a babbling fool!  Is this something that most Mommy's do that I just didn't know about?   I mean I knew it was important to talk to him but I didn't know I had to narrate our entire day.  Even though its therapy for him in reality its a coaching session for me. Its actually going to be kind of hard for me.  Because Kolton plays so well by himself I'm not really in his face all of the time.  Changing the way we play is going to take some focus and concentration on my part. So they next time you see me and it seems like I'm talking to myself you'll know why!

After all that I got a little treat this evening when he fell asleep in my arms with his head on my shoulder.  We stayed like that for over an hour ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment