Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Terrifying


Last night for 90 terrifying minutes I had no idea where Kolton was.

Well, maybe I'm being a tad overly dramatic but that's what it felt like anyway.  Let me explain...

I knew he was with his babysitter but I was surprised when I got home from my dinner meeting before them.  We only have one girl that watches him and her son is involved in a youth football league that practices every Tues, Wed, & Thur.  She took him one other time and made it home by 8:00.  So when I got home shortly after 8 and they weren't back yet i thought it was odd.  I sent her a text and tried to ignore the lump in my throat.  5 minutes and no response later I called her phone...it went straight to voicemail!  Que panic.  I texted again, called again, called again, called, called, called, well you get the point.  Now it was 8:30 and I'm pacing the driveway willing her car to pull into the community.  Here was the problem...

I didn't know exactly where she was taking him.  I just knew football practice.  I didn't know the babysitters home phone number.  I only know her cell.  I didn't know her address either.  She had recently moved.  I was FREAKING OUT.  So I did what any panicking, irrational mother would do.  I threw a Hail Mary and called the realtor that had recommended her because I knew they were close friends.  She wasn't sure where the fields were either but told me she wouldn't be surprised if practice ran late because there was no school on Wed.

My rational brain told me there had to be a logical explanation but my irrational brain jumped to the worse case scenario.  What if the got in an accident?  What if he was kid napped from the field?  My heart was pounding out of my chest!!!!  So I looked up youth football and started driving to the closest field not knowing if this was even the right place.  FINALLY she called.  They were at our house and Kolton was already in bed.  I must have just missed her.

Apparently, Kolton got fussy so she took him to her house while she waited for her son to get done with practice.  She fed him and then he fell asleep and so did she.  When she woke up and realized her phone was dead she decided to bring Kolton home instead of plugging her phone in.  But she brought her charger to plug in at my house.

I'm not mad at her at all.  Although falling asleep and having your phone die when you are watching someone else's child is probably something that shouldn't happen.  More than anything I was appalled at my lack of judgement.  I was completely lacking any details about the where abouts of my child and that my friends, is on me.  I also didn't set the expectation with her about what time I'd be home.  I'm sure she thought it was going to be a later night.  She loves Kolton and was very apologetic.  She also wouldn't accept any payment from me.  I'll definitely continue to use her.  I just need to make sure to give and get ALL the details.

I remember my mom telling me stories about me getting lost in the grocery store.  I feel like most parents have a terrifying moment or two in their memories.  If you haven't had one yet consider yourself lucky!  I hope the worse is over for me, but I have a feeling that won't be the last time.  Having kids changes everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment