Thursday, March 21, 2013

25


I've been thinking a lot about the next stages in development for Kolton.  Things like potty training (on my New Years Resolution List!) and transitioning to a big boy bed.  I realized I'm dragging my feet for a couple of reasons.

First, I think its sometimes easier to tackle these issues out of necessity; as in the arrival of a sibling.  My brother and I are roughly 25 months apart.  Kolton is now 26 months.  When I was his age I was already sleeping in a twin bed.  The thought of Kolton having the ability to get out of bed scares the crap out of me.  Mostly because he is such a good sleeper.  But I'm sure a lot of it has to do with lack of options on his part.  Last night I woke up to the sound of his mobile at 3:00am.  If he is awake at that hour and has the freedom to move about; how do you know what he's up to?

And second, I've been using his talking as a crutch.  I've been thinking that I need to get him to communicate verbally before moving on to anything else.  But the truth is he does understand language and he can communicate using signs or sounds.  I think I am incredibly afraid of failure.  Both his and mine.

1 comment:

  1. From everyone I've talked to, switching to a big bed is something that can wait. Every person said that they wished they could have kept their child in the crib longer, but had to switch because child was climbing out and it was a safety issue, or because of another sibling entering the picture. I feel like potty training is something that happens over time!

    ReplyDelete